Friday, 15 September 2023

Level 99



Level 99

A short story

Written pre-2014


“John! How many more times have I told you not to go over your spending limit on the credit card!” John’s father Brian couldn’t believe John had gone over his monthly student allowance given to him. It was the fourth time in five month, and John father was getting pissed off with his sons lack of control over money. “Can you hear my boy!” John father bang on John’s bedroom door. “Are you still asleep! Don’t you supposed to be somewhere, like college. You do study there don’t you?” Brian wanted to get it into his sons head that overspending on credit must stop, and no wooden door was going to prevent him this time from getting his point across. He grabbed the door handle and pushed hard, the door sprang open. John was sitting at his desk, a mouse in one hand, keyboard in the other, playing World of Warcraft video game. “Wasting time again huh”. Remember it’s my money that’s funding you, nobody elses.” “Dad! do you mind, it says privacy on the door!”, replied John, staring at his monitor. “Listen to me. I never brought you up this way to be rude to your elders! Do you hear? Your mother and I taught you right from wrong, for the life of me I don’t know where we went wrong!” No response. John was glued to the Computer like it was his lifeblood. Brian face began to turn deep red like a volcano spewing hot lava. He rushed towards his son, grabbed a plug from the wall socket and ripped it out. “No more computer games! You’re grounded!” “Dad! I was on the last level, now I’m going to have to start all over again”. “Son! I don’t care, you eating money like it’s no tomorrow. You’re a grown up man acting like a eight year old kid! I never had treats like you have when I was young, I had to work for a living at 14 years old!” No reply from John, who just sat there looking at his father. Then suddenly John replies “Does that mean I can’t go the Home Computer Show with Bill tomorrow?” Brian knew then there was no point in trying to speak to John in this state. “Son, I try to get through to you but I’m wasting my breath.” Brian turned around and walked out of the bedroom. John reached over and put the plug back in. Level 99 here I come, thought John.

No comments:

Post a Comment