Friday, 15 September 2023

On The Piste

On The Piste

          A short story

          Written pre-2014


I look up into the clear blue sunny sky while holding onto the rope on this button lift, guiding me up the mountain to the top piste. To the right of me, a slope leading down the mountain with pine trees dotted around. I better not fall off this lift else it will be a long drop. As I am pulled up to the top, the air feels fresh on my face. The piste is pretty much empty, how lucky to be getting a good snow fall in January, Austria surely is a great place to ski. I see the end of the button lift, I grab the rope and open my legs so the button flys off, to the left of me is the top slope. My friend Mike is waiting. He points downward which means he’s ready to ski down. I wave my hand and he goes. I pull my ski googles over my eyes, check the jacket zip is upto the top of my neck. It sure is beautiful at the top. fluffy white clouds around the parameter of the mountain, it’s really picture perfect. I think I’ll take a slow ride down. Hang on! Let me first apply some mint-flavoured lip chap else I’ll be pealing soon. That sun is sure bright. I turn my skis straight and begin to ski downwards. I angle my skis into a v shape to make myself travel slower. Mike must be at the bottom by now. I‘ll just take my time, no rush. No one to tell me I need to do this or that. This is the life, peace and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment